Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Process of Writing

My second graders are working so hard to follow the writing process...brainstorm, draft, edit, final copy... rinse, lather, repeat.  Oh wait!  It seems that every year I have a handful of students that struggle with capitals and punctuation!  We spend the first few weeks of school going over complete vs. incomplete sentences, and learning about CUPS!

I use the above process with my students to help them remember what to look for when editing.  I have this poster hanging in my classroom!  We talk about what each letter stands for and we edit some sentences at the beginning of the year.  Capitals and periods, capitals and periods...I sound like a broken record! Wait...Mrs. Driscoll--what's a record!?

As the children are working through their own editing, I give them a CUPS slip to help them be more independent in their editing! As the check their writing for each letter, they can check it off on their CUPS slip.  

Sound helpful??  You can check this packet out in my store!  I have a CUPS editing packet.  It includes this poster, and student CUPS slips.  It also has some beginning of the year activities to practice each skill!

Check it out in my TPT store!


No comments:

Post a Comment