Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Classroom Reveal!

Where did the summer go??  We decide to take a late vacation this summer the last week in July.  However that was also the first week I could have gotten into my classroom!  Instead I was enjoying this view!!

I wish I had that outside my classroom window!
As soon as we got back, it was time to get into school mode.  I felt a little behind the eight ball, but at least I was well rested and had a nice tan too!

Here's what I came back to...

It's always so daunting to return after the summer with everything removed and packed up.  Luckily I had a little help, as you can see in my photo!  

I am a teacher that doesn't mind a bit of rearranging and change in my set up.  However with the SMARTboard and computers tied to where you see them in the photo it is a little challenging to do that! I spent so many late hours at school--but it's almost like a little reunion every time you go in, right??  Someone is always around, we catch up on how our summer went and try to get some work done!!  I found it a little easier to spend my nights prepping the classroom, since I spent my days with these kiddos!  

It's hard enough being a teacher's kid or nephew--they don't want to have to 'go back to school' earlier than everyone else too!!

So here's the end product!



My reveal picture is the room set up for our supply drop off.  


As a grade level we purchased these awesome folders for our take home folders.  They have a pocket in the front, so I jazzed them up with a cute beach-y cover.

I also made these...  Any guesses what they are???

  They are containers from Crystal Light...but they fit markers PERFECTLY!  I put little chalkboard label stickers on them, and had been saving them all summer--each student got one to store their markers.  Now I have no ripped boxes, or markers rolling all over the place, or markers taking up the entire pencil box. 

More goodies for my new class!!


If you didn't notice, my room has a bit of a beach theme!  Remember the vacation I just returned from??  At least I get some bright sunny beach decorations all year long. I've been adding to my theme for the last 3 years.  
Here is a closer look at some of my favorites items around the room...

I created these cute name tags this year for my desks this year with Thistle Girl clip art!  I am constantly fighting the contact paper war.  They peeled off almost immediately. Last year I tried velcro dots, but that wasn't much better...  so for now we do scotch tape!


I created this art on some wood frames. I just printed these off, painted the edges, and then I modge-podged them to the wood.  They are so cute!

If you like these you can download these for free at my TPT store!

To help with classroom management, I use 2 important tools.  One is our behavior clip chart--all beach themed of course!  This allows each student to monitor their own behavior throughout the day.  The children have the opportunity to move up the chart or down, depending on the choices that they make.  In years past I have used liquid tie-dye to dye my clips fun colors--but I had trouble finding it this year!  So we settled for using chalk markers on our clips.


The other item I use for whole class management is my beach behavior bingo!  I love this and the kids are always so excited about it.  They are practicing reading 3 digit numbers, it incorporates technology, and encourages a collaborative, cooperative team atmosphere!  What more could a second grader ask for!?!
Here is how we use this... when the class is following rules and routines as a whole group, or if we get a compliment from another teacher in the building!  The children earn a bingo chip!  When we pull a chip, then the students have to read that 3 digit number and find it on the chart!  The reward is a big surprise until we get a bingo!!  Once we do, they scan the QR code on top and it is revealed!  Some of my prizes were movie day, pajama day, bubble party (we chew gum and blew bubbles outside), technology party, and board game party!  If you like this item it is available in my TPT store as well!  QR codes are not included!

I'm a little bit of a tech nerd too, so I had to incorporate a little of that into my classroom as well!  My job board is a giant tablet.  Then as one of our activities the first week, my kiddos each create their own 'app' card to place on the board for their job.  I just use velcro dots to secure them and then I rotate them one spot over each week!

We hired a new principal at our school this year, and one of her new requests is to post learning targets for the students.  I created these little posters and then just purchased some document frames to make them look a little prettier!  I can easily write on them with dry erase markers to change them once we hit our target!
No classroom is complete without a library!  I had my very handy husband build these 2 shelves for me last summer to hold these cute baskets.  

My newest little obsession is those chalk markers and little chalkboards--so I picked one up at Hobby Lobby!  How cute!  It just adds a little pizzazz to our classroom and helps us get through those first few crazy days of school!


Thanks for taking your time to read all about my classroom! I hope I gave you a few new ideas for yours!  

Go on over to Lucky Little Learners to check out all the other great classrooms!
#2getherwearebetter

No comments:

Post a Comment