Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Staying Organized with Homework!

So this weekend my project was to tweak my daily homework routine for my kiddos.  One of my teammates had seen a blog post at on of our favorite bloggers, Amy Lemons!  We just absolutely love her stuff and so do the kids!  Any how the post was about how she uses Fluency Folders with her students.  We have sent home weekly fluency practice in our classes in the past, and typically it was just a sheet that was sent home in a regular take home folder.  I checked out the post as well, but decided that it was a little too much for me and my kids, so I did what all good teachers do!  I modified it to fit my needs and my classroom.

It took a little bit of brainstorming and work, and having a second grader, I also tried to think about what would make my life easier as a parent as well.  It was really important to me that the kiddos have everything in one easy to find place.  So here it was... 23 individualized fluency folders.

So what's in it??  I gave each folder 2 plastic sleeves, one is kind of an info sheet for parents, and the other one holds the fluency sheet we use.  They are from Second Story Window and so far we are pretty pleased with them!  

I didn't quite have enough prong folders, so I did use packing tape to tape in the sleeves, I will have to let you know how they hold up.

We also use Words Their Way, so I labeled the front pocket for a place to keep their word sort that they keep at home.

In the back pocket they are keeping their daily reading calendar.  Speaking of those, I have October through December available in my TPT store!  I also plan to put any guided reading books we send home in this pocket.  Some of my kiddos are still working on sight words so I also have some friends who have a list of 10 words to work on. 



So far it seems to be going well.  This our first week with the folders, but the kids are storing them in their backpacks and bringing them to school every day.  I'm hoping this is going make everyone's life easier, especially mine!




No comments:

Post a Comment