Monday, September 15, 2014

too many ideas..

It's been one of those weeks.  You know the kind, loaded with meetings...trying to get into some good, meaty instruction??  Time to start up with Guided Reading groups, interventions, and all the stuff that makes use crazy?
I spent a lot of my weekend making sure my guided reading groups were set, and Daily 5 stations had been practiced and planned so that we could independently and quietly work while I met with groups...I can  dream can't I?  So of course my post I had planned for Thursday went by the way side, but I do want to share the fun things we did to remember Patriot's Day.  
It is was my very first year teaching in my current district when September 11 happened.  I was teaching half day kindergarten, and when the teacher next door popped in to tell me some airplanes had hit the twin towers I really had no concept of what exactly all that had meant.  Then our afternoon class arrived with stories that no 5 year old should have to tell or talk about.  Some of them had seen it on TV... it was scary and surprising and stunning.
For the 10 years that I taught preschool we did not really remember or address Patriot's Day.  It is hard enough for adults to make sense of what happened that day, let alone try to make in relevant to preschoolers.  So it wasn't until I began teaching 2nd grade that I talked about it in school today.  There are so many great stories about that day.  Aside from the typical ones, a favorite of mine is 

by Nancy Carlson.  She actually wrote this book the day after, September 12, 2001.
We also make these flag hearts that I got from reading Sunny Days in Second Grade.  I have the kiddos write on the back what they love about America.  Here were a few of my favorites:


We also read a book about Heros from Across the Hall in Second Grade.  This is my son's page at the end.... not sure he exactly got the point of a Hero, but what he wrote is just so sweet!  


If you are looking for some more activities for Patriot's Day--maybe for next year!  Check out my good friend over at First Grade on the Brain!  She has a mini packet full of fun activities!



Here's a pic of my very patriotic class!  Hope you had a great week and thanks to all those Heros out there keeping us safe every day!




1 comment:

  1. Love the ideas, the blog ��, and especially the pic of your kiddos with the hearts! That is a super cute picture and one for a memory book/keepsake!! Keep sharing! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete