Thursday, August 14, 2014

Classroom Behavior 101

I have to admit one of my least favorite things to do is teach and teach and teach and teach and teach again those classroom rules each year. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of these little angels came to school ready to learn, respectful, polite, and obsessive rule followers?? BTW, I have 2 of those students living with me at home, and maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be ;)

But EVERY teacher knows that Classroom Management sets the tone for your entire year and it is THE KEY to having a successful year! Children need to know the expectations in your classroom if you want them to be successful for the school year. Here are a few of the tools I use with my second graders:

 The Rainbow Clip Chart

 I know that there is some controversy about this chart--comments akin to 'would you as an adult want to have to move your clip in front of your co-workers?' But honestly, I love that the students have the opportunity to move back up, and also that those students behaving appropriately are rewarded by moving up.  My original chart uses scrapbook paper for the backgrounds, my TPT version has the backgrounds included.   I have created quite a few of these for fellow teachers, and love coming up with the wording to go with the themes!  You can purchase my beach theme chart here!

 Beach Behavior Bingo 

 This is my absolute favorite item I introduced last year, Beach Behavior Bingo! The kids are so into it, I also include a QR code that holds our reward for when we finally get a bingo. Plus it works on reading and identifying 3 digit numbers (Common Core tie in!). The rewards are fun (code for FREE) things like pajama day, class move, bubble gum party, etc.  Here is a version I have on TPT!  Check it out, I even have it on sale for back to school.


Cool Tools Book

Lastly, our school uses PBIS to help with classroom management.  We teach Cool Tools to help set expectations for each area in the school.  I have created this writing activity to go along with your PBIS lessons.  In my classroom I have the students complete the top of the sheet, our three words are Responsible, Respectful, and Ready.  Then they write a few sentences explaining how they are following the '3 R's' in our school and draw a picture to go along with it.  I also have my students include our school creed.  I included a fill in the blank in my TPT version.  

No comments:

Post a Comment